Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Three little letters that could ruin a new year



December 29th I received a little (well actually its pretty big this year) booklet in the mail. Not only will I be using it, but it was a reminder of what happens at the beginning of the year. I don't see why this isn't considered a tradition. Maybe the government could turn it into a holiday, so we can take the day off and do this annoying little thing (big thing in some cases) December 29th I went downstairs to check my mail, and I received my income tax forms, and its thicker this year than in previous years.



I remember when I got my first W-2 form in 1998 (well actually my first was in '94, but I was a being claimed as a minor so no worry there), I didn't know what to do with it. I had to ask my mother for help. She told me her secret. She would go down to the IRS building downtown on East Ave. and have them do her taxes for her. She showed me where it was, and I went there and they did both my Federal and my State income taxes for me. I was so happy to get this done, it was a relief, a weight off of my shoulders. It was our little secret and at first very few people new this, and then all of a sudden the cats out of the bag and it whispered to every single desperate W-2 carrying, IRS filling, paper cut, person searching for help in Rochester. The result ... Three years ago the IRS decided to only do the State, its up to you to fill out the Federal.

So I decided that I would do my own income taxes. Yep I do my own now, and I don't need any help, well I had my mother double check the math the first year. I am getting better at this, and I can't wait to get my W-2 form in the mail. Mines are easy, because I don't have any kids, no house, no stocks, I don't live in Yonkers, I don't own a business and I am not married (not saying that I don't want to be married someday). I don't even have to worry about checking which party I belong in, because I don't want to or need to be a democrat, republican or a independent (I wish they would stop with the labeling already). I am not a voter. Only problem is we (we being the employees at the job I work at) don't get our stupid w-2 forms until nearly the end of January. What I wouldn't give to be one of the first people to get it in the first week. Last year I didn't get mines until around January 26 (or was it later than that) When something comes up, I like to get it over and done with. I got my tax forms, now send me the freaking w-2's. I know its more frustrating for some people than for others(what is that saying, "Nothing is certain but Death and Taxes"). I have my motivation though!
$$$$$MONEY$$$$$

2 comments:

Jod{i} said...

I am one of those weirdos who gets excited about doing them!
Must be all the math! LOL

Actually I do them but I dont...I go online to Tax Act! AWESOME! I have done it for the past 5 years!! Woo hoo...easy easy easy...they walk you through it, and for some it is free! Even so its worth the 7 bucks!

Here's to tax money(hopefully!)
HAPPY NEW YEAR CHARLES!

Jodi

DesLily said...

when i was married my husband took care of that.. when i was divorced I only had to do the short form.. then in CA you could even phone it in!! I always had jobs take out more then "necessary" that way i always got back money and never had to pay.. which was great!