Saturday, May 26, 2007

Agents working as Optometrists???

Its been damn near a week...Again!

Okay, I know, I know, I need an excuse as to why I haven't posted in six days...I have one for ya!

The reason is that my eyes have been bugging me. It turns out that it wasn't eye strain from being on a computer all day at work, and at home. Well maybe a little...20/80, maybe 30/70. Well I don't know anything about ratios so I will just skip that. I have been having problems with my vision for a while now. Even with my glasses my vision seemed a little off, and I'd still get these throbbing headaches that made me feel like some of my blood vessels in my brain were going to explode.

I would have went to get my eyes checked sooner, but the calendar at work was filled with a number of requests off, and I didn't exactly know how to get to the optometrist on the bus-line. Truth is I was afraid that I would get lost, so I wanted to get a ride from my brother or mother. The only problem is I had to find a day that one of them had off, that wasn't filled on the calendar. Couldn't find one...well actually I did. My mother's birthday was free, but the hell with that.

There were days where I was actually put my head against my register, or hid behind the bottle machines and just closed my eyes, just to try and relax them. Finally it got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore. I decided that I needed to do this on my own regardless of my own self-doubt of my abilities as an independent. So last week I called and made the appointment, and then I went online to check out the city buses' website, to see which buses I could take to get me to Empire Vision. That process was kind of hard, because RGRTA (which I will be referring to as RTS after this) only had landmarks listed as options for a destination. I had to go to mapquest.com to get the address of the Empire Vision center that I went to two years ago. Oh I forgot to mention that they moved from there original location. I got the address, copied and pasted it to the destination portion of "Trip Planning" and I think I got 4 possible bus routes that I could have taken to get there.

My exam was Thursday. I got there about an hour early. One of the employees there said she would see if she could get me in early, but that didn't happen, and I was okay with that. I really didn't have anything frustrating happen to me, well except that they were talking about the season finale of LOST. Which I hadn't seen yet. It made me start saying stuff in my head like, "no no no no I'm not hearing you", and "Charlie isn't dead yet".

When it was time for my exam I met my optometrist for the day. I know that there are weird people in specific professions, but I had no idea...

When I first heard this guys voice and the way he said my name (Mr. W-), immediately the first thing that came to my mind was Agent Smith from The Matrix. This guy didn't look like Hugo Weaving, but he did kind of resemble the character Agent smith took over in the "real world" during The Matrix: Reloaded. We had no conflict or confrontation. Although the guy wouldn't look me in the eye, which was kind of irritating. "Agent Smith" proved rather useful though. He diagnosed me with astigmatism. Its not that my eyes got any worse, they just became "different". I got my glasses yesterday, and hopefully the headaches will be gone for good. Funny thing is my sister has an astigmatism to, and when I looked through her glasses, I noticed a weird looking distortion in them, yet I can't see it in mines. This made me wonder if the optician didn't put the correct prescription in my lens. The again, when I wear the glasses I feel kind of weird. Just like "Agent Smith" said I would feel. Maybe i'm just not supposed to see the distortion. In any case I have to get use to my new glasses, and find a case for them that fit.

5 comments:

Emily Suess said...

I remember when I first got glasses in high school. When I looked at the ground everything was rounded off--for a few minutes I even had trouble walking because of it. Anyway, it's a good thing you had your eyes checked. No reason to put up with headaches like that if you don't have to.

Chris said...

well thank god the optometrist didn't follow the Matthew 5:29 school of eye care!!!!!

"...and if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out."

Hope it all clears up for you!

Chelle said...

YAY! new specs! I had a HARD time getting used to the progressive bifocals... YES bifocals... UGH! but now.. piece oh cake!!!! ::smiles::

Anonymous said...

Everyone I know has at least a little astigmatism. Welcome to the club.

Ari said...

If you must know, my eyes are flat. Er... not as well-rounded as other people's eyes. This makes wearing contacts a nightmare. That's what my optometrist told me. I still wear the contacts once in awhile, but you just can't beat a nice pair of trusty glasses.

Ari