Saturday, August 04, 2007

So Much For First Impressions

I have been debating on whether or not to post this. But THIS...It's been brewing and steaming inside my mind. Boiling until something gives.

At first when I watched the news, I thought it was intriguing because someone locally owned this website (ebaumsworld), and they sold it for over 50 million dollars. So I went there and took a look around. Looks good...videos, pictures, jokes...etc. When I looked at this one particular picture (solar Power) of four black kids toting around a stereo with one kid holding what is supposed to be a "solar panel".

That however isn't what made me upset. It's the comments below it that has me fuming. People joking about our skin color, calling us slurs...laughing it up. I'm all for freedom of speech, but this is...its just wrong.

I don't know what else to say...

How many times can I say how sad, how angry, how disappointed I feel. Other than the color of my skin, what did I do to make someone hate me. What will it take to make them accept me for who I am. I couldn't sleep the night I read those comments. It would have been worse if someone didn't actually stand up and voice their opinion to the contrary of what was said.

How can we search for intelligent life on other planets when we all can't get along here?

If your wondering why I didn't link the site to this post, its because I couldn't bring myself to do it.

4 comments:

Emily Suess said...

There's no need to link to their stupidity. There is, unfortunately, too much of this to go around--you are absolutely right. Wish I could make the world a better place for you.

Chelle said...

Charles, sug, you are perfect the way you are. You are intelligent enough to learn from this. It is sad others have not had the ability to learn from others BS.

Now, put down that Cosmo and gimme some sugah.. hehehe

*smooch*

Chris said...

How can we search for intelligent life on other planets when we all can't get along here?

I don't think I could have said it any better than you did, Charles.

There is one good thing about racial, gender, and sexual orientation slurs though.....it let's me know the person that used that term is an idiot! That way I don't have to waste anymore time talking/listening to them:)

It is not fair. You're right.

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

Anonymous said...

You know, everywhere you go people are stupid and/or insensitive about other people. It gets quite draining. I have learned, for the most part, to leave people alone in their own stupidity and I have tried not to take things too personally when my sensitivities flair up about it. But then again, I have never walked in your skin.

YOU make the world a better place, Charles.